Thursday, May 24, 2007

Almost the weekend.

My DH is a cleaning maniac. He is running around cleaning and straightening and just in general getting the house ready for our friend Uli who is coming in from Germany on Monday. If you didn't know better you would think she was royalty. :) He is just very excited that she has decided to come and spend her "holiday" with us. He has known her from chatting online for about 5 years. We've talked on the phone and she sounds wonderful. I can't wait to meet her. What I thought was funny is she was hoping I wouldn't mind her drinking beer. I told DH I don't care she's on vacation! She can do what she wants.. the other thing I can't wait to do is take her swimming at my sister's house. DH told her to bring a swimming suit. She asked him if we would swim in the creek?? He said no swimming pool. Her English is a bit broken but I have no problem figuring out what she is trying to say. Maybe it's from years of trying to figure out what my Grandmother was saying. She had a heavy Scottish accent. Some of her words had different meaning than what we were taught. Like a biscuit. To most american's that is a roll or a biscuit like biscuits & gravy type. Nope to Nana those were cookies. We figured that one out quick. Imagine her first time at the bakery after moving to Chicago. She told me she had "a hell of a time telling them" I guess she finally just pointed to what she wanted and they all figured it out. I think it will be good for the boys to learn about someone from another country. I had my grandmother so it was normal for me. My boys knew her breifly. My younger neices and nephews got to know grandpa.... but he didn't talk funny like grandma did.

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend and remember those who fought for our freedom. Also anyone who has passed before us who shaped us into the people we are today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you joined the NASCAR group! Can't wait for today's race. Oooh a friend from Germany... where??? I'm from Germany and soooo miss it. Tell her Viele GruBe - (feela grews - I guess would be how you would say it actually).

Hugs!!!!